Friday, March 07, 2014

Scribbles and Scrambles ~ Brides, Bridezilla's and Bridatude...

I'm in Minneapolis for a wedding. 

Not just any wedding though. This is a special one because it involves my-family-that-I-met-on-the-internet-which-has-become-pretty-much-adopted. 

So,  technically, the crazy girl walking down the aisle isn't any relation whatsoever, but she calls me Auntie and & is cousin and in my mind she is my niece. 

& is a bridesmaid and I am a crafty go-fer. Yesterday we arrived in Minneapolis, loaded vehicles, headed to the church and began to decorate. 

Now, you might imagine that tension could've been high. 

It's a huge church, so big that there is a ton of activity going on each and every day. Yesterday was no exception, several of the reception tables were occupied by students and folks doing ministry. The walk-in cooler was filled and we had to make space for the reception items. The risers that were supposed to be on the stage as part of the decoration were missing. A large plastic bin got dropped accidentally and half the vases for the centerpiece at each guest table broke. Dinner was slow in service and the activity planned for after the dinner got started late. The bride didn't react with tension to any of the issues. Not one. No tears, no huffing and puffing, no pouting. 

Last night before bed several of us were gathered around talking and she said. "This night was perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better night." 

One of the girls said. "Really?" 

And she said. "Better than I hoped. I have the best people in the world in my wedding. It was the perfect night." 

And my heart flipped a little. Because I got a little glimpse of the wife and eventual mother she is going to be and I believe there is a very, very blessed young man who will be saying "I do" in a few short hours. 

May you look beyond the details of the day that don't go according to plan and see the blessings instead. 

No comments: