Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Scribbles and Scrambles ~ More Thoughts on Life Well Spent


Apparently, I've hit a patch of melancholy. It happens -- far too often during some seasons. I'll try to keep it contained to a small slick so you don't slip in it.

I'm reading the book I mentioned yesterday called "One Month to Live..." Each of its thirty chapters start with two quotes. I happen to love quotes. Looking around my living room, I can count ten items with a quote or a saying or a statement about life. A primitive wall hanging right across from me shares Proverbs 24: 3-4 By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established: by knowledge it's rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures.


Over my left shoulder is the wooden sign stating, "Dwell in possibility" Emily Dickinson


Sometimes, when the house is clean and the clutter doesn't cover these favorite items, I stop what I'm in the middle of doing, take a deep breath, read the words and ponder what they mean to my life, right now.


When I decided to write, to take it seriously, my mother bought me a giant pencil that says "Write On." I wonder if I shouldn't have a sign above my bed saying, "Seize the day." But since I stumble around before the first cup of coffee, there would be a loss of effectiveness.

Bottom line. I don't want to squander what God has invested in me.


I'll leave you with two quotes from the book. Do they speak to you? What can you do today to live life to its fullest in the areas you've embraced? I can't answer for you. But I'm going to keep on learning and growing and giving today. And tomorrow, too.


The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration but its donation.

Corrie Ten Boom



I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I have just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.

Diane Ackerman

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Kelly! I am taking a leadership class right now and have been lying awake trying to figure out my personal vision statement. Funny thing is, until several years ago, I have always had a vision statement and 5 year plan...then multiple children happened...exhaustion set in...and well, here I now am. Lots of thinking going on in my pea brain this week--especially since I need to have this statement for class by tomorrow morning and I am still at a loss. How do I plan for me when all I see are sleepless babyfilled nights and child activity filled days? I want children. I want my creative career. But all I seem to have right now is chaos, tears (theirs and mine) and a very messy house with wrinkled clothing for all. Appreciate your post and the quotes. I too love quotes!!!!
Xta

Kim said...

Kelly,
I love all your quotes! And even though you have hit a patch of melancholy, you have shared a meaningful challenge with us all.

Sometimes life is just overwhelming in its demands and sameness. Then the unexpected happens and we long for that demanding routine. I'm so glad God sustains us through it all. As long as the legacy we leave behind counts or Him, it matters not what else we achieve.

Sending along a hug today!
Kim