Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Scraps and Snippets ~ Vegan Peppermint Fudge and a Story Update...

I spent the last two days working on edits for Out of the Frying Pan. Can I be honest and tell you that I really like our story? Okay. That sounds so…so…prideful. But, it's the characters I like. Does that sound better? Because the characters are part and parcel, piece and pinches from lots of folks we know and/or would like to know. 

Okay, maybe this will sound better. Peppermint Fudge

I found this recipe in my inbox. Candy Cane Oreo Fudge. Yum. Right? 

Well, of course. The version I made of this hurts so good. So rich, so chocolately, just a perfect hint of peppermint and the mouth feel is crazy velvety. My good friend in grade school introduced me to Bavarian mints when I was a wee lass. I believe those are milk chocolate so they are off my radar, but I remember the feel and taste of those suckers and this is a more grown up version of that. I think I will leave the cookies out next time (after a few days the cookies get really incorporated and soft) and just go for the chocolate mint, or maybe add crushed candy canes with a sprinkle of candy cane on top. 

I live by a Trader Joe's and Trader Joe's has the Peppermint Jo Jos. Just saying. 

Change #1. 

Change # 2. I'm a cheapo. And I didn't want to buy coconut milk creamer. So easy the way she has it, but like I said,  I'm a cheap. So I found a recipe to make your own vegan creamer and since I wasn't putting it in my coffee, I was totally okay with trying it out in a recipe. 

And I wanted to take this a few places so I needed more fudge. So here's what I did, what we got, and here we go. 

18 Peppermint Jo Jo's, Oreos or Candy Cane Oreos (if using cookies)
1 1/8 cup of non-dairy milk
1 1/2 TBSP of agave 
3/4 tsp of cornstarch
3/4 tsp of peppermint extract 
5 and 1/2 Cups vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used the dark, dark ones) 

Grease a 9 x 13 pan. Crumble 16-18 Peppermint Jo Jo's reg Oreos or Candy Cane Oreos on the bottom of the pan. 

Pour milk into a saucepan, add the agave, and cornstarch. Heat until very warm. Add the chocolate chips and stir over very, very low heat until melted. Add the peppermint extract. Pour the chocolate mixture over the cookies. Spin or use a spoon to fill in any holes. Refrigerate two hours, cut the fudge into bite sized pieces and run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the fudge. Return to and store in fridge. 


No comments: