About Me

My Photo


Change. I've learned to embrace it, ride it out til the end. Sometimes I'm kicking and screaming, other times weeping with my eyes clinched tight. Once in awhile I ride like a dog in a car, head out the window snorting what life has to offer. Mother to young adult children, a marriage of thirty years, and a desert to mountain to valley waltz with God have shaped me into someone I never imagined I'd be. Life is short and I want to live it. Tears, sighs, laughter and change. Every morsel granted to me. Scrambled, shaken or stirred.

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Scraps and Snippets ~ Cinnamon Bun Cake



This is a really delicious and much easier scratch for a cinnamon roll itch. I Veganized (and eased up on the fat from this version).

 


Cake:
1/4 Cup room softened Earth Balance margarine
1/4 Cup applesauce
3/4 Cup sugar
2 flax eggs (2 TBSP ground flax, 6 TBSP water mixed together and set aside.)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 and 1/2 Cups non-dairy milk
3 Cups flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Topping:

3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 Cup and 2 TBSP softened Earth Balance
1/4 Cup and 2 TBSP applesauce

Glaze:

1 3/4 Cups powdered sugar
3 TBSP non-dairy milk
1 teaspoon maple syrup
 

Putting it all Together:

Instructions for the cake:

Cream Earth Balance, applesauce and sugar, add flax eggs, vanilla, and milk. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into a 9 x 13" greased pan.

Prepare topping:
Stir together topping ingredients until cream. Drop evenly over batter by tablespoons and swirl through the batter with a knife. I pulled the knife horizontally through each row of cinnamon blobs. Then I did the same vertically until I had a pretty marbly pattern.

Bake at 350ยบ for 45 minutes.

Glaze:

Whisk glaze ingredients till smooth. Drizzle 2/3s over warm cake. And leave the rest for icing lovers to add as they desire to their own piece.

No comments: