About Me

My Photo


Change. I've learned to embrace it, ride it out til the end. Sometimes I'm kicking and screaming, other times weeping with my eyes clinched tight. Once in awhile I ride like a dog in a car, head out the window snorting what life has to offer. Mother to young adult children, a marriage of thirty years, and a desert to mountain to valley waltz with God have shaped me into someone I never imagined I'd be. Life is short and I want to live it. Tears, sighs, laughter and change. Every morsel granted to me. Scrambled, shaken or stirred.

Monday, November 12, 2012

Scraps and Snippets ~ Green Rice

Green Rice 

Back a long, tong time ago. Super long, like when I first got married, we visited my grandparents and I returned home with lots of recipes I copied from her file. 

Grandma's recipes are the real deal full of all sorts of dairy. And this is a dish I made often. 

It's a casserole that is full of cheese and eggs and flavor. I'm not going to lie. Sometimes I want this casserole real bad. 

We have three butternut squash waiting for inspiration. I was successful with a butternut mac and cheese and thought I'd take it another step. Spinach would be my first choice, but we had chard that needed to be eaten up. 

4-6 Cups cooked brown rice (I used 4 but I will use more next time.)
1 Cup cashews
1 Clove garlic
1 Small onion diced
2 teaspoons mustard
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2/3 Cup vegetable broth
2 Cups prepared butternut squash
1 teaspoon salt
4 TBSP nutritional yeast
2 Cups chopped chard (uncooked) 

Put cashews, broth, mustard, diced onion, lemon juice garlic in food processor and let sit while you prepare the rice. 

Grease a 9 x 13 pan and preheat oven to 350.

Whir cashew mixture. Add butternut squash and salt and whir. Combine rice, chard and sauce together until well mixed. Pour into 9 x 13 pan and bake for 45 minutes.

No comments: