Friday, December 09, 2011

Scraps and Snippets ~ "Hamburger" Crumbles

I did not post yesterday. I can't blame it on my internet connection, which may or may not be fixed as I had to reboot it this morning. (Happy thoughts, happy thoughts, butterflies and daisies, ah yes, I feel better.) 

I spent the evening crafting. Why? Because I'm making a few gifts this year. Oh, and because I'm INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a closet full of craft items that I just want to use up. And since I'll be having company in about two weeks and that will require massive cleaning, I decided it's time to HAUL 
everything out. That way my stress level can be OFF THE CHARTS 24/7 until Christmas Eve morning. Ha.Ha.Ha (add the deranged, twisty-eye look and a touch of desperation to the ha, ha, ha, and you've got it.) 

However, while I'm crafting Netflix is making sure I'm catching up on all sorts of stuff. In the meantime, still looking for those recipe ideas to incorporate into the family file. Here's a great one. Really. And inexpensive, too. And if my grand craft ideas turn out, I'll even share those pictures and success stories with you all. (After I gift them, of course.)


"Hamburger" Crumbles

2 Cups brown rice
2 Cups prepared lentils
1 Cup oatmeal
1/2 Cup TVP (textured Veggie Protein or more rice if you prefer)
3/4 Cup finely chopped mushrooms (not minced, but small) (or extra pecans or rice)
1/2 Cup chopped (small) pecans (Or use more rice or more mushrooms)
2 tsp black pepper
1 TBSP garlic powder
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp cumin
1/8 Cup olive oil
1/8 Cup soy sauce

Mix this all together very well. Place in lightly greased 9 x 13 pan. Place in 300 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so.

You don't have to use TVP, it doesn't hold the recipe together but does give a little extra protein. I loved the texture and taste of this. I probably got 6 or 7 cups. Keeps in the fridge for a week or so. I froze cup sized bags for future use and it freezes well.

Here is the original recipe

My tweaks made it way easier. It did not require a trip to a store and helped use up some of the stuff I have on hand.

No comments: