Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Scribble and Scrambles ~ Slap Me if You Must



Somebody may need to stop me. I made another batch of chia muffins. This time they were chocolate/oatmeal, and again, delicious.

I'm not kidding.

They tasted like a blend of cake, brownie and protein bars. See picture. (Yes, I did find the camera. Ha. You thought you were off the hook.)


My chia obsession started in July. The physician's assistant asked me to help her come up with a healthy eating plan for our patients. I was the no-brainer choice. Why? Because I'm one of the only few who have Word on my work station and the only one who works every day. Yes. A high honor indeed.

While the PA and I discussed the requirements of a healthier life a longing bubbled up inside of me.

I swore off dieting years ago. Something happens to even the Princess of Pollyanna optimism when repeated failure slaps said optimist upside the head.

There is not enough room in a month of blog posts to detail the bizarre diets I've tried. And my kids reminisce with great relish about the Richard Simmon's Sweatin' to the Oldies video workout parties.

Even now I hesitate to share anything about the changes we've made in our family. Like if I say it out loud something inside my brain is going to switch back and I'm going to face another failure.

But now that I've outed myself about the chia obsession, I'm going to randomly share some other details. Because what I've discovered and the changes we've made have made our lives very interesting indeed.

I will be posting those muffin recipes. This one is nearly perfect but with the addition of the cocoa the texture changed and the muffin stuck a little too much to the paper. Having no clue what I'm actually doing here I'm going to have to experiment again.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Okay Kelly, what's up? I want to know! Is Chia part of a new way of eating? I'm still struggling with that here in Alabama. I need to lose weight, not find it! Do share!

And tell me where to find the seeds.

Scrambled Dregs said...

Okay, Kim. Here's a bit more info. I got mine at Walgreens. (My aunt did.) So I think they must be pretty available.

I did page through the Family Circle magazine that just came in the mail (March issue). They had a write up mentioning Balance nutrition bars with chia seed.

So there will be more and more products. The following link I know nothing about but the price is decent. http://www.nutsonline.com/seedsspices/chia-seeds/premium.html

Do you have a Whole Foods or health food store near where you live?

One warning. If you don't eat a lot of fiber, go easy, girlfriend. : ) Baby steps into fiber.

I'll share some more of what I've discovered tomorrow.