About Me

My photo


Change. I've learned to embrace it, ride it out til the end. Sometimes I'm kicking and screaming, other times weeping with my eyes clinched tight. Once in awhile I ride like a dog in a car, head out the window snorting what life has to offer. Mother to young adult children, a marriage of thirty years, and a desert to mountain to valley waltz with God have shaped me into someone I never imagined I'd be. Life is short and I want to live it. Tears, sighs, laughter and change. Every morsel granted to me. Scrambled, shaken or stirred.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Scribble and Scrambles - Housekeeping Horror - Grandma Will Never Forget

Immortalizing my messiness...story number two.

Page 108 of The House That Cleans Itself

Writing under the pseudonym Evelyn R.

Time for a Change

"Grandma dropped by for a scheduled visit. I'd cleaned and delegated jobs to the children, one of whom had forgotten to put away the vacuum cleaner. (This wasn't an issue; at least it proved we vacuumed on occasion!) The brand caught Grandma's eye, and she walked toward it and grasped the handle.

"Is this one of those light little 8-pound vacuums?" she asked.

I nodded and smiled just as Grandma tried to lift it -- and couldn't.

"Good grief!" she cried. "That's a lot more than 8 pounds!"

I grabbed the handle. A churning in my stomach reminded me that I'd given all vacuuming responsibility to my 12-year-old, and I hadn't checked the bag in ages. Gulping at the gritty gray trail of dust that followed any movement of the handle, I wrestled it to the front porch. It weighed at least 30 pound! I unzipped the bad and engulfed my Grandma, Mom and me in a cloud of dirt.

Grandma still laughs 10 years later. The vacuum still works...if I remember to change the bag."



Come back tomorrow for a Q & A session with Mindy.

4 comments:

Heather Smith said...

LOL! Too funny!

Anonymous said...

I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH it - i MEAN it!! eVELYN r.

Ane Mulligan said...

LOL - that sounds like my house. Except that I don't vacuum - my hubby does. How did I manage that, you ask?

Uh-uh. That's MY secret.

;o)

Janet Rubin said...

oh, THAT'S what you mean when you say, "change. I've learned to embrace it." I never put my vaccuum away!